The district is composed of four blocks of Center Street (100 E. to 300 W.) and one and a half blocks of University Avenue.
The NRHP listing included 43 contributing buildings. The majority of the buildings in this district were built between 1880 and 1930, however there were buildings constructed all the way through the seventies.
1907 Carnegie Provo Library
Provo’s first library of major consequence. Located at First East and Center, it was completed in 1907 through a Carnegie grant of $17,500. It was enlarged and modernized in 1939.
Many of the buildings downtown, particularly the older ones, required some fashion of remodeling. Within the district, twenty structures are considered architecturally or historically significant, and twenty one structures are considered contributory.
The building was replaced on the same site in the 1970’s, housing the Covey Center for Arts (which moved years later).